Saturday, May 3, 2008

Greetings from California!

We survived! And Carli only had two melt downs! I think I'm finally learning how to deal with change.

Kevin and I left Provo on Wednesday. We decided to do the trip in two days so it wasn't so stressful. That meant we weren't in a huge rush to leave town. We checked out of our apartment at noon. Unfortunately, I realized half way through Nevada that I left my sourdough start and beef base in the fridge! Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time I've done it. Anyways, we stopped at Costa Vida so I could have one last pleasure, stopped to get Sensuous Sandwich so we could take a little of Provo with us, and hit the road. The wind was crazy, but other than that it was uneventful. We stopped for a relaxing night in Winnemucca.

Thursday brought In-N-Out. That was exciting and comforting. We finally arrived in San Jose and were excited to see how familiar things were. I think that helped a ton in making the transition easier. We also visited with our good friends from last summer. That also made things so much easier. I can't tell you how much it helps having some friends in a new area.

Friday brought apartment hunting. That was a shell shocker. Both Kevin and i came back pretty discouraged. Our attempt at trying to save money was completely thwarted. Several of the places I wouldn't even get out of the car, and a good majority brought back very real memories of walking around downtown Houston. We basically came back to the place we were staying and had to re-think our entire plans. We threw around many ideas and ended up with a game plan.

I'm pleased to report that this afternoon we signed a lease for our new apartment! Both of us felt really good about our choice and the more we were playing with the idea, the more sense it made. It puts us in the same ward we were in this summer, and the best part of all is we are in the same complex as our friends! Things do have a way of working themselves out.

So Kevin and I are happy and well and looking forward to starting this new chapter of our lives. We love you all and thank you for all of your help and prayers.

6 comments:

klenaek said...

Congrats you guys! I am so happy things are working out. :-) I will expect pictures very soon. hehe. Love you!

Whitney Bennett said...

I am so glad you guys found a place. Im sad that we didnt get to see eachother before you left. It makes me happy to know you two got there safetly. That will be so nice to be in the same ward again. Good luck with everything! Love ya!

Melanie said...

Carli, call me when you get a minute. I don't want to bother you as you guys are moving and unpacking and looking for a job and on and on the list goes! I am glad you found a place though and I am excited to see the pictures!

Jaclyn said...

You made it! We're "neighbors" (well, almost!). Where exactly did you end up? I'll have to swing by soon... Good luck getting set up!

Rachelle said...

Hey Car, I hope you don't mind I found your blog from Anna's. You two look so happy! I have thought about you often. Sorry I didn't make it to your shower (I know that was a long time ago). The invitation was at my parents and I didn't know until it had passed. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. I'm so glad you and Kevin are doing so well.

Rachelle said...

It made my day that you left a message! I am excited to be able to keep in touch now. It's great that you guys are living here now. We will have to get together.